Small Buffer Optimization for string and friends

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Apr 8 07:46:54 PDT 2012

On 4/8/12 4:30 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 4/8/12, Andrei Alexandrescu<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote:
>> essentially making them templates
>
> I just hope that doesn't cause:
> 1) Awful template errors
> 2) Slower build times
> 3) More ICEs

Walter and I agree that relying on sheer D for instead of
compiler-generated magic (in this case, bitmaps etc) is the better
solution. Implementing a generic marker as a template using
introspection is very simple - I predict a few dozen lines. Once that is
finished there will obviously be no template errors. I don't know
whether build times would be impacted. There will be fewer ICEs because
there will be less reliance on the compiler.

Andrei