A modest proposal: eliminate template code bloat

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:58:15 PDT 2012

On 08.04.2012 16:37, Marco Leise wrote:
[snip]
> Template bloat could be especially important to 'fix' on embedded systems.

I think I this idea largely formed years ago when I was working with c++
on 8bit micros. You won't believe the amount of code size one can save
by using one separate generic save-it-all-then-load-it-all prolog/epilog
for all functions (and esp ISRs).

>  Let's wait till the bugs and important features are implemented or hack the compiler ourselves.

Let's hack the compiler ;)
BTW I think it should be possible to apply the idea on the IR level not
on the actual machine code.

--
Dmitry Olshansky