Hitchikers Guide to Porting Phobos / D Runtime to other architectures

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 12:13:35 PDT 2012

On 08-04-2012 21:08, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> I got asked whether there are any porting hints for phobos on other
> architectures the other day from the debian GCC maintainers. So I
> gathered this must be at least a dedicated wiki or article to be written
> up on the subject. :)
>
> I know there are a few working on porting gdc and associated libraries
> over to ARM (with my assistance from the compiler side). So please tell,
> what are your experiences? Successes? Failures? What tips would you give
> to someone wanting to port to their own architecture?
>
> Regards
> Iain

For the love of god, use D_LP64. I cannot count how many times X86 and
X86_64 (and similar pairs) have been misused for this.

Don't rely on extern (D) for inline asm in any capacity. It differs
across compilers, architectures, bitnesses, and OSs (this is one
seriously stupid aspect of the language).

Not so much for when you're porting, but as a help for others who might
have to port platform-specific code you're writing: *Always* include an
else block for the unsupported case that static asserts.

--
- Alex