Discussion on Go and D

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Apr 8 13:44:44 PDT 2012

On 4/8/12 12:21 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> A few more samples of people's perception of the two languages:
>>
>> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3805302
>

> At least we don't have this issue:
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3814020
>
> The D gc allocates smallish "chunks" as required, not one giant virtual
> arena.

On reddit, too:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/rzd19/do_not_use_go_for_32bit_development/

I find that behavior quite surprising because, unlike imprecise GC, is
much easier to improve.

Anyhow, the recent discussions on Go clarify that we need to improve our
collector's precision, and pronto. The only thing that didn't yet make
the problem more painful in D is that D programs create a lot less garbage.

Andrei