x32-abi + D = fat pointers?

Kevin Cox kevincox.ca at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 15:29:32 PDT 2012

On Apr 8, 2012 6:24 PM, "Tove" <tove at fransson.se> wrote:

> I just stumbled upon this:
> https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/home
>
> /rant
>
> I remember back in the glorious MC68000 days(24bit addressing)... leaving
8bits for creative optimizations... until 68020 took away all the fun that
is.

> So... I was kinda upset that x86-64 was explicitly designed not to permit
such tricks despite having a 48bit addressing mode... hmpf shooting oneself
in the foot is the fun part of programming.

> /end rant
>
> Anyway... x32-abi to the rescue, access to 64bit registers just as
normal... but using efficient 32bit pointers, suddenly there are 32 bits
free to play with, D-slices passed around in a single normal 64bit register
anyone? actually 32bits is a lot... one could also possibly imagine
creative flags for the GC.

There could also be a mode where if you need more than 32bits you could use
slow odd-sized pointers.