std.benchmark ready for review. Manager sought after

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Apr 9 06:26:31 PDT 2012

On 4/9/12 2:06 AM, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> Why will recording the average produce so much noise?

As I explained, the average takes noise and outliers (some very large,
e.g. milliseconds in a benchmark that takes microseconds) into account.
The minimum is shielded from this issue. In the limit, the minimum for
infinitely many measurements is the sought-after result.

> As I see, floating
> point arithmetic is now used without a strong reason so it looks like a
> time of this part isn't valuable. Or is it just a temporary solution?

I don't understand "time of this part".

> Anyway it should be configurable using a CT parameter, so it will not
> abuse one who doesn't need it.

We'd like the framework to do the right thing, and the average does not
seem to be it.

> IMHO, a histogram gives lots of information and will be a good addition.

I disagree.

Andrei