std.benchmark ready for review. Manager sought after

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Apr 9 08:30:14 PDT 2012

On 4/9/12 10:23 AM, Francois Chabot wrote:
> Why is there so much emphasis on printBenchmarks()?
>
> benchmark() and runBenchmarks() are clearly the core of this library,
> and yet they are relegated to second-class citizen: "Oh, I guess you can
> use this". Normally, I wouldn't be so picky, but this is a standard
> library. Focus should be on functionality.

The functionality is to make benchmark easy to use, meaningful, and easy
to interpret. I don't want to add a complicated library for
postprocessing benchmarks because most nobody will use it.

The first function in the documentation is what most people will want to
bring themselves to using. The functions that provide the data are
eminently available so I disagree with the "second-class citizen"
characterization. You want to use them, use them. They don't need to be
given rockstar billing.

Andrei