Windows 8 Metro support

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Mon Apr 9 09:39:30 PDT 2012

(IMO) one of the biggest obstacles for truly broad adoption of D
currently is the weak platform support on end user platforms. The two
mobile platforms that came up recently (iOS and Android) are two
examples. And indeed I think that support for mobile platforms could be
a real stepping stone because of D's extraordinary convenience and
language power - the alternatives to C/C++ are pretty thin here and
cross-platform development in general has come to a grinding halt
recently with all the proprietary languages and APIs. If D could step up
here...

But mobile platforms aside, Windows support is something that in general
has always been neglected a bit, especially regarding 64-bit support.
Starting with Windows 8 there will arise additional problems because
Metro application will only be able/allowed to use the COM based WinRT
and the VisualStudio runtime. DMD with its use of snn.lib is out of the
game here, just as the any other runtime library.

Right now, if we don't catch up here, D will slowly degrade to a pure
server and command line application language which surely wouldn't do it
justice.

In consequence this means that there is one more reason to raise the
priority of COFF output from DMD (together with 64-bit codegen) - or
possibly the alternative to make OptLink COFF-capable to at least be
able to somehow link against the VS runtime.

Another such thing - although this can be worked around - would be
direct support for Objective-C classes like in Michel Fortin's dmd
modification. I think these GUI application related functionalities are
by far the most important things for D's mass adoption. And personally,
I would even be willing to donate a (for me) considerable amount of
money to help bringing this forward because many things I would like to
realize with D are currently (almost) impossible.