Foreach Closures?

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Mon Apr 9 19:21:04 PDT 2012

On 4/9/12 10:58 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-04-09 15:19, Manu wrote:
>> OMG, DO WANT! :P
>> Who wrote this? I wonder if they'd be interested in adapting it to
>> VisualD + MonoDevelop?
>
> That would be Ary Manzana. I think one of the reasons why he stopped
> working on this was that he ported the DMD frontend to Java and it's
> just a pain to stay updated with DMD.

Yes, it was a pain. I can't understand how I did it. Aaaah... the times
when one was young. :-P

Robert Fraser also helped a lot with porting, doing some refactorings
and many other cool stuff. I don't remember seeing a message of him in
this newsgroup for a long time now...

> This comes back to us again, again and again. We _badly need_ a compiler
> that is usable as a library. Preferably with a stable API which it
> possible to create bindings for other languages. For that compiler to be
> stay up to date it needs to be the reference implementation, i.e. the
> one that Walter works on.
>
> Also Walter won't just drop DMD and replace it with something else or
> start a major refactoring process on the existing code base.

Yes, D definitely needs that. The Eclipse plugin could just use bindings
to the D compiler API with JNI.

In fact, I think Walter and company should stop working on the current
DMD codebase and start all over again. The code, as I see it, is a big
mess. Now that the spec is more or less "clear" and not many new
features are added, I think this is the time to do it.

Actually, nobody has to wait Walter. The community could just start
writing a D compiler in D, host it in github and work with pull
requests... something like what Rubinius has done with Ruby.

Though you might think it'll be harder to catch up with language
changes, if the code has a better design I think introducing new changes
should be much easier than in DMD's current codebase.

> BTW, Descent has a compile time debugger as well, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, I'm not sure how well that works.