Windows 8 Metro support

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Tue Apr 10 00:24:08 PDT 2012

Am 10.04.2012 08:55, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> On 2012-04-10 08:50, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>
>> Haven't seen it before. Unfortunately, he doesn't talk about the
>> language runtime in detail, but he does talk about how the standard
>> library needs to be adjusted to use Metro style libraries so I guess the
>> same would apply to the language RT.
>>
>> At the end he gives some links and this one might be interesting:
>> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-875T
>> I'll try to watch that later today.
>
> The thing is, as I understand it, you should be able to use the native
> types and standard library types/functions through the WinRT API. So you
> would basically build, for example, a (or a couple of) WinRT range(s)to
> be able to iterate D collections.
>
> I'm not sure if the language runtime needs to be changed. It depends on
> what's expected from the WinRT API.

Okay, I would agree to the first part. This would make the interaction
with WinRT bidirectional and more or less seemless. But one thing in
particular, that you are not allowed to do is to use kernel32.dll (at
least I was told). So you still have to rewrite all the C-library
functions (such as fopen(), malloc() and so on) and anything that the D
runtime or Phobos uses from kernel32 or similar libraries; I gues the
same applies to ws2_32 and so on.