Object arrays in D

CrudOMatic crudomatic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 00:41:28 PDT 2012

The D documentation is a little lacking in a lot of areas. I'm
needing to know an exact way of making arrays of objects.

For example:

/* Deck class */
	// Will be adjusted with the proper cards for each game type
	class Deck {
		/* Card count - used to keep track of how many cards are left
in the deck - when zero, Deck is discarded from the Shoe */
		int cardCount;
		/* Cards array - initialized to cardCount elements */
		Card cards[];

		/* Constructor */
		this(int no_cards) {
			cardCount = no_cards;
			cards = new Card[cardCount];
		}

		/* Destructor */
		~this() {
			delete cards;

the cards[] array is meant to be an array of Card objects, and
I'm initializing it in the constructor as seen above. This hasn't
been tested yet, but I'm needing to know if this is the correct
way of doing it - to save headaches later.

Also, while I'm here, how would you go about moving objects from
the cards array in the Deck class to another class containing a
cards array - I'm talking about MOVING them, not COPYING them. I
don't want any issues with references being destroyed after being
moved to another class when I happen to destroy an instance of
the Deck class.