The Downfall of Imperative Programming

"Sönke "Sönke
Tue Apr 10 05:09:51 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 at 10:38:28 UTC, James Miller wrote:
> * Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> [2012-04-10 05:57:52 +0200]:
>
>> Am Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:50:32 +1200
>> schrieb James Miller <james at aatch.net>:
>>
>> > Slightly OT: With the unstoppable march of parallel
>> > programming, does
>> > anybody else find node.js incredibly infuriating, since it is
>> > single-core.
>>
>> Don't blame the library. EcmaScript was designed to be
>> single-core. I imagine that web scripting language to be much
>> more complex with multi-threading in user code. You are using
>> the wrong tool for the job ;)
>>
>> --
>> Marco
>>

> I meant that the fact that node.js is gaining popularity,
> despite the
> fact that we want to move away from single-threaded
> applications, is
> incredibly backwards.
>
> I'm not using node, I have to use PHP at work, which at the
> very least
> gets help from the webserver in terms of parallel processing.
>
> --
> James Miller

I haven't used it, but node.js has clusters
(http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.6.0/api/cluster.html) which often
should be just as good.

But performing I/O using single-threaded asynchronous I/O instead
of threaded blocking I/O is a huge win in terms of performance -
it would just be nice to have threading on top to do the number
crunching work.