The Downfall of Imperative Programming

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:04:38 PDT 2012

> On 4/10/12 3:02 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> Hummm... the really core issue is whether the language supports tail
>> call optimization. Functional programming languages demand it, C, C++,
>> Java, Go, Python definitely don't have it, D...
>
> D has only the tail recursion, not the tail call. The latter should be
> easy to implement.
>
> Andrei

One thing I think we need to do with D is actually guarantee tail calls
in the situations where it makes sense. A mistake many other languages
made is saying that "this may or may not be a tail call depending on the
implementation". This is not enough of a guarantee to write portable
programs...

--
- Alex