The Downfall of Imperative Programming

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Apr 10 14:29:19 PDT 2012

Russel Winder:

> On the JVM the interesting question is whether Clojure finally
> makes Lisp a mainstream language outside of one or two domains.

Clojure contains some interesting programming language design
ideas.
I have written enough Scheme that now I am sure I don't like to
write S-expressions. S-expressions are a puzzle-way to write
expressions, and I'd like to avoid solving micro-puzzles all the
time.
I've seen that idiomatic Clojure code is too much slow for my
purposes (there are ways to speed up Clojure code, but only
partially and the result doesn't look good). Regarding
parallelism in Clojure, I am seeing single-core C/D code faster
than idiomatic Clojure running on 4 or 8 cores. I have not done
enough experiments, so those are just anecdotes.

Bye,
bearophile