Is anyone hacking on druntime in a widespread fashion at the moment?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Apr 10 16:29:41 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:09:48AM +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> On 11-04-2012 01:09, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:10:19AM +0200, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> >>I'm planning to go over druntime and add nothrow/pure everywhere I
> >>can, but I don't want to disturb anyone else who's currently working
> >>on patches that this could disrupt.
> >[...]
> >
> >Please do. The current lack of proper function qualifiers has been
> >bugging me to no end, every time I try to do the same in my own code. I
> >inevitably have to remove some qualifiers that should be there, just
> >because of a single druntime construct that wasn't properly qualified.
> >
> >And while you're at it, you might want to consider const too. Last I
> >looked, a whole bunch of stuff that should be const, isn't.
> >
> >And best of luck to you... the last time I tried to do the same thing I
> >ended up changing almost the entire druntime, and still couldn't get the
> >result to compile.

> Yeah, I've made several attempts in the past without much luck...
> Hopefully I'll get there at some point.
>
> So, I won't disrupt your AA hacking by doing this?
[...]

No, I'm doing the new AA as a completely separate struct for now. I
won't be touching druntime until the AA code itself is more-or-less
completed. Once that's done, it should be just a matter of
copy-n-pasting into object_.d with some minor changes (plus what's
anticipated to be very painful dmd changes, from what people have been
telling me :-P).

In fact, if druntime stuff is properly marked, I'll be able to uncomment
a few more qualifiers in the AA code that currently can't work 'cos of
druntime's brokenness.

Long, long ago, the ancient Chinese invented a device that lets them see through walls. It was called the "window".