core.stdc in docs?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Apr 10 16:48:01 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 01:28:13 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
> I know this has been discussed before, but would it really be that bad
> to have these in the docs? Right now, people basically head over to
> std.c for everything C99, and then later discover that those are to be
> deprecated and really just import core.stdc. I think this is rather
> pointless. We ought to take out std.c and add in core.stdc, IMHO.

Probably a good idea, but it requires putting ddoc comments on all of those
functions in druntime (either empty ones or ones with links to the C docs
somewhere online), which is potentially a fair bit of work. Also, in some
cases, something like the StdDdoc version that Phobos uses (probably either
CoreDdoc or just reuse StdDdoc) is going to have to be added to enable
documentation-specific versions (without using D_Ddoc, since that runs into
issue with people who try and compile their documentation and actual code at
the same time - not a great practice IMO, but that's why StdDdoc exists).
Also, there have been some discussions about how druntime should be split up
as far as architectures and OSes go, and the documentation would be affected by
that.

- Jonathan M Davis