dmd's linking order

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Apr 11 10:04:59 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:37:48AM -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately, I have no idea why the linking order even matters in
> the first place, so I can't really say what we need to do here.
> Hopefully, someone else around here _does_ know. But the issue does
> seem to need to be brought up.
[...]

This is because many linkers (including *nix ld, IIRC) resolve symbols
in the order the libraries were specified on the command-line. I don't
remember the exact reason for this, but it probably has to do with
improving the performance of the symbol resolution algorithm. It's a
legacy from the early days of linker technology.

VI = Visual Irritation