dmd's linking order

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Apr 11 11:51:14 PDT 2012

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.wcln1rh9eav7ka at localhost.localdomain...

> I'm not a linker expert, but I found this page which describes the changes
> and the reasoning:
>
> See this post: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ToolchainTransition

That says the order-dependent  behavior is caused by --as-needed being
default. I'm no linker expert either, but the description of the purpose
of --as-needed sounds...goofy and pointless (although maybe it makes sense
for C's lack of a proper module system?).

It can be disabled, apperently, by using --no-as-needed. That page tries to
discourage people from doing that though, but the reason it gives seems
vague. Personally, I'd wonder whether going along with --as-needed is really
even worth doing. (Of course, if it turns out to be easy to fix the
ordering, then we may as well.)