The Downfall of Imperative Programming

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Thu Apr 12 06:36:40 PDT 2012

On 04/10/2012 12:06 PM, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> A curious fact is that the FP fans have much to thank to Microsoft, as
> it is the company with more FP research on their paychecks. Many open
> source fans are not aware that a few of the main developers in the Ocaml
> and Haskell communities, work for Microsoft Research labs.

I don't see any reason to thank Microsoft for this so much as to be wary
of it. The same people that were getting paid to work on this stuff at
universities in Europe, where software patents don't exist, are now
getting paid to work at Microsoft, where patenting software is expected
as part of the job.

Microsoft has also in recent years been very aggressive with their
patent portfolio, rattling their saber at Linux and suing Android
distributors.