Measuring the page generation of the forum

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Apr 12 16:55:17 PDT 2012

"SomeDude" <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote in message
news:mjectyruiwxebfrkegvt at forum.dlang.org...
> On Thursday, 12 April 2012 at 18:36:01 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed a couple of times (i.e very rarely, mind you), that the page
>> generation of the forum had hiccups.
>> Have other people experienced such hiccups ?
>> If yes, I wonder if we saw the GC kicking in, or if it was SQLite's fault
>> (or was it a network latency ?).
>>
>> Anyhow, the forum seems to me a good opportunity to measure the D runtime
>> in action on the server side, and in particular the GC.
>> A few questions :
>> Is the server regularly restarted or is it running smoothly without
>> having to be restarted at all ?
>> Does it measure the time for the page generation ? Would it be
>> interesting to see at the bottom of the page something like "Page
>> generated in xxx ms", when I (or other people) come accross those
>> hiccups, and to collect these data for statistics over a week/month ?
>
> So noone thinks this could be a good idea ?

I like it. (And the StopWatch in std.datetime would make it super easy.
StopWatch is freaking awesome.) But newgroup/forum posts don't always get
be mistaken for a "no" vote. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Could you be more specific what you mean by "hiccup"? I assume you mean that
once in a while a page load will be slower than usual. If so, about how
long?

My wild random guesses, aside from your ideas, are that maybe your request
just happens to occur at the right time for the forum to decide to refresh
its cache (if it even works that way). Or maybe it could be related to the
newsgroup server (which the web forum is just a frontend for) being
temporarily down due to high load (which unfortunately has been happening a
lot lately). Vladimir would probably have a better idea what might be going
on than I would, though.