Measuring the page generation of the forum

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 20:31:27 PDT 2012

On Friday, 13 April 2012 at 08:09:09 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Friday, 13 April 2012 at 03:24:19 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure it is the NG itself. Every news reader I've
>> used has shown some form of "hiccup" If you try making a post
>> under a heavy load you'll get a nice page telling you the load
>> and what it needed to be.
>
> Long page loads are caused by a combination of high server load
> +
> RAM cache misses + SQLite queries that require a lot of seeks.
> Network operations, including fetching new posts from the NG and
> posting to the NG, are asynchronous, and never block web
> requests.

I use the split-thread view, I haven't had long page loads so
maybe I've miss understood what he means by a hiccup. But I have
seen it take time to retrieve a message and display it to me. I
would expect a page could be considered "loading" if it is still
waiting on fetching the post from the NG.