std library hooks

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Apr 14 21:23:33 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 14 April 2012 at 19:41:22 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/14/2012 2:40 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> So object files take priority over library files?
>
> Yes, because object files are NOT searched. They are
> incorporated. Libraries get recursively searched for unresolved
> symbols.

Right, I understand the case when you declare an assert handler
and use it in the same module (thus, object file) - then, an
external is not used and for PIC there might not even be a
relocation record. However, if the assert statement and my assert
handler are in different modules, how does the linker know not to
search the libraries without first searching other object files?