compiler support added for precise GC

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Apr 16 02:00:50 PDT 2012

On 4/16/2012 1:20 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I thought it was a first step for runtime reflection.

The thing about runtime reflection is you only need it for a few classes, while
the compiler is doomed to generate the info for all of them. Andrei suggested a
better design, which was to use compile time reflection to generate runtime
information, as a library routine, on an as-needed basis.

In other words, it should be a library feature, not a language feature.

I think that by making the precise GC information a library feature, not a
compiler one, we may be reaching a tipping point where the language is powerful
enough that we may not need to add ever more language features.