D scored well in the Google CodeJam Qualification Round

Somedude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Mon Apr 16 08:12:41 PDT 2012

Le 16/04/2012 15:51, Steven Schveighoffer a écrit :
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:31:34 -0400, Somedude
> <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote:
>
>> Although there was very few D contestants (only 15 out of 18365
>> contestants used D), D scored number 1.
>>
>> http://go-hero.net/jam/?repost2012
>>
>> It was only the qualification round, and admittedly, 3 out of 4 problems
>> were not extremely interesting.
>>
>> Still, congrats to hos.lyric, - whoever that is (Kenji ?) -, who managed
>> to submit a perfect solution in 1h55, more than 46 mn before the rank 2.
>>

> This is cool!  I still have my google code jam T-shirt from '03 when it
> was done through TopCoder.
>
> I'm glad D is getting some traction there.  I would caution however,
> from my past experience, that looking at how well one language does vs.
> another is extremely subjective -- really good coders can do really well
> no matter what language they use.  But what *is* important is that a
> really good coder chose D for his/her language.  That gets people
> interested.
>
> -Steve

Indeed, some really good coders could do it in any language. From reddit,

"I submitted a polyglot program in vim, dc, brainfuck, bash, bc, php,
whitespace, c, c++, befunge-98, golfscript, python3 and ruby. The first
seven languages were for the contest problems, befunge doesn't do much,
and the mainstream languages (+golfscript) are all quines.

http://www.go-hero.net/jam/12/name/Nabb
"
And this guy still managed to rank 73rd.