compiler support added for precise GC

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Apr 16 11:42:20 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-16 18:53, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 9:40 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Regardless of how the runtime reflection is generated, by a library or
>> the
>> compiler, it needs to be available to all types.
>
> Why?
>
> (I can see the point for a dynamic language, but not a static one.)

The standard example that comes back is serialization. That can be done
without support for runtime reflection but not as good as with the
support. As far as I know it's impossible to serialize through a base
class reference without registering the subtype with the serializer, if
runtime reflection isn't available.

--
/Jacob Carlborg