compiler support added for precise GC

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Apr 16 14:04:50 PDT 2012

On 04/16/2012 10:51 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 11:42 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> (I can see the point for a dynamic language, but not a static one.)
>>
>> The standard example that comes back is serialization. That can be
>> done without
>> support for runtime reflection but not as good as with the support. As
>> far as I
>> know it's impossible to serialize through a base class reference without
>> registering the subtype with the serializer, if runtime reflection
>> isn't available.
>>

> Serialization does NOT need to deal with all types, only the types that
> are to be serialized.

That is certainly true. Full runtime reflection is a sufficient, but not
a necessary solution.

The issue to be solved is that it is inconvenient and possibly error
prone to manually annotate all types that need specialized runtime type
info. Eg. If a class subclasses a serializable class, then by default
the subclass should be fully serializable without further action.