compiler support added for precise GC

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 22:34:16 PDT 2012

On Monday, 16 April 2012 at 16:53:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 9:40 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> Regardless of how the runtime reflection is generated, by a
>> library or the
>> compiler, it needs to be available to all types.
>
> Why?
>
> (I can see the point for a dynamic language, but not a static
> one.)

Because you can't take into consideration every possible use for
your code. You have to be liberal, because even ONE class
forgetting to enable reflection will completely break someone's
entire system. For example, you can't serialize just because ONE
random collection forgot to enable reflection. As it is right
now, the vast majority of the standard library would have to have
reflection enabled because the use case is unknown. This is how
it would be for most libraries as well. You don't know where your
code will be used when writing a library, so you have to play it
safe. Opt out is MUCH better than opt in. People who want
reflection understand the costs associated with it. People who
want reflection build programs where these costs are acceptable.