compiler support added for precise GC

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Apr 17 01:13:53 PDT 2012

On 4/17/2012 1:10 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/16/2012 11:50 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not so sure in D that you can serialize arbitrary types without them
>>> designed to be serializable. For example, what will you do with unions?
>>> Pointers to global data?
>>
>> Not all types are serializable of course.
>
> How would you know if they are or aren't, when dynamically loading stuff?

Essentially, I'm concerned with a vast amount of data being generated for every
type and inserted into the executables (which are already large). Even worse,
I'm concerned that such a feature will not "just work" when one wants to
serialize a class that wasn't designed to be serialized, and it'll come off as a
crappy half-assed buggy misfeature.