Is the use of .di depreceated ?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Wed Apr 18 03:02:49 PDT 2012

On 18/04/2012 09:18, "Erèbe" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently discovered that D support file interface .di, but through my
> past reads I never seen someone using it. The std don't do usage of it
> (compile time issue maybe ?) and most of D project are in the same case.
>
> Is this feature depreceated ?
>
> I'm from a C++ background, I agree on the fact that keeping declarations
> and implementaions sync across two files is tedious, but when I have to
> read code, I like a clean interface to summarize the thing.
>
> Dmd doc is there to replace the need of an clean interface ?

You can find a list of deprecated features here:

http://dlang.org/deprecate

.di files are not deprecated, just rarely used. This is for a few reasons:
  * There is no requirement to use them
  * They severely limit the capabilities of CTFE
(http://dlang.org/function#interpretation)
  * DMD is really fast - the speed gain from using .di files isn't
noticeable for a lot of projects
  * If you want them, they're very easy to generate yourself (use the
-Dd and -Df compiler switches)
  * For the purposes of reading APIs, DDoc is normally used -
alternatively, all good editors and IDEs provide code folding to hide
implementations

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/