Export ?

Maxim Fomin maxim at maxim-fomin.ru
Thu Apr 19 09:59:28 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 11 April 2012 at 10:50:21 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, Linux got this _right_ and Windows got
> it completely
> wrong, and I do _not_ want to see export being used in D any
> further than it
> is. It's bad enough that the export keyword exists at all.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I think the problem is deeper: C++, which you have mentioned,
doesn't tell anything about libraries leaving programmer alone
with unportable issues. So, the problem is inconsistent behavior
across different implementations. It is better to say not that
Linux got it right, but you were luckier with Linux, because its
export policy was beneficial for you.

For example that bits Linux "everything is portable" policy, I
had a cross platform project and thought that it would be safe to
hide some internal functions but than i realized that it requires
lots of unportable code.

If D would offer portable solution to this problem, it would be
its yet another big win.