[off-topic] Sony releases PS Vita SDK

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Apr 19 12:37:38 PDT 2012

"Paulo Pinto" <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote in message
news:jmpl39$1oa1$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Hi,
>
> just wanted to announce that Sony has finally made the new Playstation
> Vita SDK available, as we were discussing some months ago.
>
> http://www.playstation.com/pss/index_e.html
>
> The gamming industry seems to be slowing moving to C#. Would we still
> be able to convince developers to move to D instead?

Yes. I suspect that the movement to C# is somewhat of a compromise due to
the fact that C/C++ has been the *only* real systems language usable for
most gaming systems. Obviously, something better than C++ is needed, and
thanks to the moronic VM/interpreted obsessions from the last decade or so
that rendered most new languages impotent, there was no real alternative to
C++. So, I suspect, that's why they made the compromise of going with C#.

But D is *real* systems language, unlike C#. And frankly, it beats the snot
out of C#. I'm not just saying that subjectively as D fan: Five years ago
(if not less) I considered C# and D tied as my favorite languages. But the
more I used both, the more I got fed up with C#'s dumb limitations and MS's
disinterest in addressing them, and the more I liked D.

If D can't be made to attract game devs away from C++/C#, then I'll loose
what little faith I have left in mainstream games development.