D Compiler as a Library

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Apr 19 12:54:58 PDT 2012

"Roman D. Boiko" <rb at d-coding.com> wrote in message
news:gyhkcrhkaedsjzoohrvp at forum.dlang.org...

> Motivation for Boost would be reducing the number of licenses that the
> code author must know. Also, here are some differences between these
> licenses, which I consider as Boost advantages:

MIT's *much* easier to understand though. Boost has some real goofy,
obfuscated wordings. Although it's *worlds* better in that regard than the
completely impenatrable GPL or Creative Commons.

> "The Boost Software License is based upon the MIT license, but differs
> from the MIT license in that it:
>
> (i) makes clear that licenses can be granted to organizations as well as
> individuals;
>
> (ii) does not require that the license appear with executables or other
> binary uses of the library;

My favorite license, zlib ( http://www.opensource.org/licenses/Zlib )
doesn't have this #2 issue, and it's even easier to read and understand than
MIT.

Plus it doesn't say anything like "to any person", so it should take care of
#1, too. (Although personally, I think I like MIT better in that regard:
It's a deterrent against corporations, which gives it a little bit of the
benefit of the GPL, but without all the bullshit.)