[off-topic] Sony releases PS Vita SDK

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:07:40 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 18:21:30 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just wanted to announce that Sony has finally made the new
> Playstation
> Vita SDK available, as we were discussing some months ago.
>
> http://www.playstation.com/pss/index_e.html
>
> The gamming industry seems to be slowing moving to C#. Would we
> still
> be able to convince developers to move to D instead?
>
> --
> Paulo

Yes I believe D will eventually rule in this area, if some of
it's weaknesses are addressed. People are moving towards C#
because it's easy and natural to use, while sacrificing very
little performance or power (see System.Runtime.InteropServices :
Marshal). Plus, your code is very portable.

D is even more this way. It has very nice syntax, and a wealth of
productive features for modeling and debugging. What it lacks is
good (bug-free, full code-completetion, etc) IDE support, cross
platform compiling (read Android, iOS), and proper documentation
(it's getting there). Plus I think a few semantic issues could be
address which would make D easier to swallow at large, but I
won't reiterate what I've already said on the forums elsewhere.

At the end of the day, it's about what features and benefits a
language offers to developers. How will switching to D make you
more productive? I think that pound for pound, D offers more
usable core features and control than C# does. This is why I'm
here. However, D can't compete with the level of support C# has
at the moment. I have confidence D will overcome, but it's an
uphill battle.