[off-topic] Sony releases PS Vita SDK

Matt Soucy msoucy at csh.rit.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:40:06 PDT 2012

On 04/19/2012 06:31 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2012, at 3:20 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> "H. S. Teoh"<hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>  wrote in message
>> news:mailman.1939.1334865913.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>
>>> But IMAO, indie gaming is where it's at these days. True creativity has
>>> left commercial games since id's DOOM days.
>>>

>> Yea, pretty much. With a few exceptions (Splinter Cell 1 though...3 or 4,
>> and some Japanese stuff), I see the mainstream industry as mostly a
>> "Pixar-wannabe high-def-animation factory" these days. They don't care about
>> gameplay anymore, just storytelling, animation and emulating Hollywood.
>
> I've switched from calling those games to calling them interactive cinematic experiences.  Some are actually enjoyable from a story perspective, but overall I think they're an evolutionary dead end for the game industry.
My personal favorite is the new Jurassic Park game, where most of the
content is a quicktime event. Honestly? I love a good story, and I like
my games to have a plot that keeps me interested in it, but it also has
to have GAMEPLAY that keeps me interested.
I agree, I don't see that type of game going much further.