Let's give a honor to dead giants!

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Apr 19 20:34:41 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 05:15:36AM +0200, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 20/04/12 04:51, Ary Manzana wrote:
> >* Eclispe is great for writing IDEs but after programming in Ruby for
> >some years now and exclusively using vim I can't go back to using a
> >slow IDE so I don't think I'll ever write anything else for Eclipse.
>
> vim actually seems like a great development environment for D -- it
> was the first I could set up to really meet my preferences (I'm sure
> Emacs is also great, but I never got my head round it sufficiently).
> The caveat being that my concept of IDE is "glorified text editor that
> has really nice handling of syntax highlighting and auto-indentation
> and in particular supports smart tab indentation with tabs for indent,
> spaces for alignment".

I use vim, and would not touch an IDE with a 20-foot sterilized pole.
Vim has decent auto-indentation, and quite configurable in what it does
with tabs (expandtab, noexpandtab, tabstop, shiftwidth, etc.). I'm sure
if somebody's willing to invest the time, you can do D autocompletion in
vim too (but I've never felt the need for it).

One thing I miss, though, is ctags support for D. You don't know how
powerful such a simple concept is; it lets you navigate 50,000-line
source files without even batting an eyelid.  :-) (Just try that in an
IDE, and you'll soon get an aneurism from trying to scroll with a
1-pixel high scrollbar...)

Vim/Emacs are the ultimate tools for programming IMAO. I mean, you can
literally *implement* an IDE in Emacs if you're insane enough (heck, you
can implement an entire OS in emacs if you lisp enough). Who needs
klunky IDEs when *text editors* are that powerful?? ;-)

Creativity is not an excuse for sloppiness.