[off-topic] Sony releases PS Vita SDK

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Apr 19 23:31:23 PDT 2012

I also find it interesting.

Personally I will only use C if I really have to, as the language is just
too low
level for what I am used to. I have been following C++ since the late 80's
and
used to work with it professionaly until around 2006. As such I am not lost
in C++ complexity and I like to be able to use STL and Boost.

All languages that are able to provide proper set abstractions are complex,
even D for that matter.

While I worked at NSN there was a project that did migrate from Java to C,
but it was only due to hardware restrictions on some network elements for
the specific unit. Just to give another example of migration to C.

--
Paulo

"Andrei Alexandrescu"  wrote in message news:jmqlu9$mov$1 at digitalmars.com...

On 4/19/12 3:05 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Yeah, I've been working with C++ for almost 2 decades, and I really
> can't say I'd recommend it for new projects. At my day job, for example,
> we actually migrated from C++ back to plain old C, due to an incredibly
> over-engineered C++ codebase that was slow, bloated, and unmaintainable.
> It sounds laughable to the casual observer, but I have to say that there
> was actually a lot gained by this migration. We are much more productive
> with the new C-based system than C++. There are just too many ways to
> write bad code in C++. C makes everything simple and clear, if a bit
> tedious at times (due to basically partially reimplementing a class
> system in C).

This is interesting. We use C++ at Facebook all over the place, and
gainfully. If we were to use C, we'd have major difficulties with e.g.
containers. The thought of using a hashtable in C... ouch.

Andrei