Docs: Section on local variables

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 03:07:40 PDT 2012

On Friday, 20 April 2012 at 09:55:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> It's funny, I once argued strongly in favor of this *against*
> Walter. I lost
> of course ;) IIRC, his argument was that it would require
> perfect flow
> analysis and that's too difficult and expensive. My argument
> was that it
> didn't need to be, and perhaps even *shouldn't* be, perfect. He
> felt that
> would end up being a PITA with false errors, and I felt that C#
> demonstrates
> it isn't a PITA.  Meh, I don't want to re-debate it though.

Yeah, I am aware of Walter's previous statements on this. I think
it's ridiculous that he wants his language inferior to virtually
every one of its modern contemporaries in this aspect based on
implementation issues. I like D's well-defined
default-initialization and I think it's great for global storage,
TLS and class/struct fields, but I think local variables require
a hybrid approach. It doesn't matter if the implementation isn't
perfect; it's better than the alternative, which is our current
abysmal situation.