Let's give a honor to dead giants!

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Fri Apr 20 06:24:09 PDT 2012

On Friday, 20 April 2012 at 05:12:23 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:55:56PM +0800, Ary Manzana wrote:
>> How do you implement ctags for a language? I know there is one
>> for
>> Ruby. What's the difficulty of making one for D?
>
> I've no idea, to be honest. Never done it before. I just use it
> for
> C/C++ code at work, and it works wonders. Makes code *soooo*
> much easier
> to find, esp. in a very large project with many developers.
> (Finding
> code without tags in large projects is just so painful and slow
> that
> nobody should have to suffer it.)

When you talk about code completion, you want something that is
at least context sensitive. That means when you are in a module,
it only proposes names imported in that module and nothing else.
Is that what you mean ? Because last time I used Ctags (a
looooong time ago), it wasn't possible. Also, one of the good
things with IDE's is the refactoring capacities. Eclipse can
refactor without screwing up, and that's pretty cool. As for
compiling while you're typing, I suppose with the compilation
speed of D compilers, we could do something approaching, with the
compiler running every 2 seconds or something.