GSoC 2012 Proposal: Continued Work on a D Linear Algebra library (SciD - std.linalg)

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Tue Apr 24 00:32:43 PDT 2012

Cristi Cobzarenco wrote:
> Unfortunately, my proposal was not picked up this year. I might try to work
> on these ideas this summer anyway so I would still be very much interested
> in ideas and feedback, but I will probably have much less time if I'll be
> working somewhere else.

I'm less familiar with your SciD code base but I have used Eigen
regularly. Maybe you can answer my questions right away:
1. How are expression evaluated? Eigen uses no BLAS backend. All
   code is generated by themselves.
   Do you plan for such an option?
2. What is your goal for SciD? Do you want to have an Eigen in D? Are
   there places where a D solution may improved over the Eigen?
3. I'm not so sure about the array() stuff. I never liked in Eigen.
   Being able to call std.algorithm on the raw memory may be sufficient
   for the time being.
4. How about a sparse storage backend for sparse matrices? I'm missing
   sparse matrices in Eigen even though the situation is improving but
   they're not fully integrated yet.

I'd like to support your efforts for including your work in Phobos. How
about you clone Phobos and gradually move your work into a work in
progress branch? Really little steps. This allows me to follow you
closely. To familiarize myself with the code and I would then fill in
unittest, documentation and benchmarking code where missing as we go.

Jens

PS
It's great to hear that you plan for including your work in Phobos.