How can D become adopted at my company?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Apr 24 11:43:41 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 24 April 2012 at 14:05:14 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Eljay:
>
>> Looking at all the successful languages, I have noticed that
>> all the successful ones I am familiar with have had some sort
>> of sponsor pushing the technology.
>
> Python was widely used before Google "support". And I think
> Haskell has enjoyed corporate support for a lot of time.

Python's killer application was Zope. I recall before Zope, no
one cared about Python in Portugal, only afterwards, people
started taking Python seriously,

Some of the main Haskell researchers are in the payroll of
companies like Microsoft, or Siemens, for example.

The proprietary languages usually are pushed by big companies,
until you
cannot avoid them. While the, lets call them, community oriented
languages,
really need something that makes people care for the language and
introduce
them silently in the company.

I played a bit with D1, but never cared about it too much. What
really made
me give a second look to it was Andrei's book, but then I was
disappointed to
find out that not everything was really working as described in
the book.

As a language geek, I toy around with all programming languages I
can play with, but I see the same issues as raised by Eljay.