Can we kill the D calling convention already?

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 07:32:10 PDT 2012

On 25-04-2012 15:06, Kagamin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 April 2012 at 10:29:52 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> The point is just that: Right now I can write assembly that will work
>> on GDC, LDC, and DMD on non-Windows. It will not work for DMD on
>> Windows. Something has to change here.
>
> If it doesn't work on Windows, it should be versioned out. What we have:
> http://dlang.org/version.html#PredefinedVersions - versions for LDC,
> GDC, DMD and Windows - all what you want.

Yes, I added them. :)

You're missing the point. D is providing (or trying to provide) a
standard inline assembler, but calling conventions are not standardized
enough for it to be useful across compilers. If you're writing inline
assembly because you *have* to, you don't just "version it out", you
have to write different logic for different compilers, which is a
maintenance nightmare.

--
- Alex