How can D become adopted at my company?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Apr 25 08:38:50 PDT 2012

On 25/04/12 16:58, Kagamin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 April 2012 at 14:05:14 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> Python was widely used before Google "support". And I think Haskell has
>> enjoyed corporate support for a lot of time.
>
> And who's behind PHP?

... but importantly, Python and PHP (and Ruby, and Haskell, and others) were
fully open source in their reference implementations from the get-go, or at
least from very early on.  This isn't just important in itself, but has a
multiplicative impact with inclusion in the Linux distros, BSD's, etc. which
make up the server infrastructure of the web.

It also enables all sorts of 3rd-party suppliers who feel comfortable including
the software in their hosting provision because they can be certain they won't
in future suffer from the commercial constraints of a proprietary supplier.

D's reference implementation _still_ isn't fully open source -- only the
frontend -- and the available open source compilers lag behind the reference.