Cross module version specs

James Miller james at aatch.net
Thu Apr 26 03:32:58 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 26 April 2012 at 10:20:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:09:19 James Miller wrote:
>> which pretty much makes them completely useless unless
>> you only use the built-in versions.
>
> That's not true at all. It just means that versions are either
> useful for
> something within a module or they're intended for your program
> as a whole and
> passed on the command line (e.g. StdDdoc is used by Phobos, and
> it's not
> standard at all; the makefile adds it to the list of compiler
> flags). But yes,
> it's true that if you want to define a version in one module
> which affects
> another, you can't do it.

Is there any reason for that limitation? Seems like an arbitrary
limit to me.

The library I am binding to uses ifdefs to let the compiler see
the appropriate declarations in the header files. It would be
nice in general for D to be able to mimic that capability, as it
means you can have a "configuration" file with a list of specs
that can be generated at build-time by something like autoconf.

--
James Miller