Random distributions in Phobos

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Apr 26 04:46:20 PDT 2012

On 26/04/12 06:03, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> I suppose it would make sense for these to make it into phobos, personally am
> not familiar with the use case.

The use case is mostly to do with scientific simulation: if you look at most
science-oriented languages and libraries (MATLAB/Octave, R, GNU Scientific
Library, ...) they offer an extensive range of different random number
distributions.

SciD would also be an acceptable location for this kind of functionality, but
going by the example of e.g. Boost.Random it seems appropriate to have the basic
RNG functionality coupled with extra distributions.  It's also clear from the
std.random documentations that more distributions are planned for inclusion.

> Instead of writing the answer to your question here, I've made changes to the
> wiki. I think there is a page I'm missing but don't know where it is so maybe
> someone else will correct it:
>
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?HelpDProgress#ContributingtoPhobos

OK, thanks.  So to be clear: I should submit my proposed changes as a pull
request, making sure to include a and should expect feedback after about 2 weeks
... ?

I ask because I wasn't clear if I'd done the right thing when I submitted a pull
request on my random sampling functionality.  I was expecting to get at least an
acknowledgement quite quickly, either saying that the code would be looked at or
highlighting an obvious missing factor (e.g. appropriate unittests or benchmarks).

Thanks & best wishes,

     -- Joe