Notice/Warning on narrowStrings .length

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu Apr 26 18:55:54 PDT 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.2182.1335490591.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> Now in that, at least, it surpasses Norton Editor. :-) But had Norton
> not been bought over by Symantec, we'd have a modern, much more powerful
> version of NE today. But, oh well. Things have moved on. Vim beats the
> crap out of NE, Notepad, and just about any GUI editor out there. It
> also beats the snot out of emacs, but I don't want to start *that*
> flamewar. :-P

"We didn't start that flamewar,
It was always burning,
Since the world's been turning..."

> Here's more:
>
> http://www.omniglot.com/writing/conscripts2.htm
>
> Imagine if some of the more complicated scripts there were actually used
> in a real language, and Unicode had to support it...  Like this one:
>
> http://www.omniglot.com/writing/talisman.htm
>
> Or, if you *really* wanna go all-out:
>
> http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ssioweluwur.php
>
> (Check out the sample text near the bottom of the page and gape in
> awe at what creative minds let loose can produce... and horror at the
> prospect of Unicode being required to support it.)

Crazy stuff! Some of them look rather similar to Arabic or Korean's Hangul
(sp?), at least to my untrained eye. And then others are just *really*
interesting-looking, like:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/12480.htm
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ayeri.htm
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/oxidilogi.htm

You're right though, if I were in charge of Unicode and tasked with handling
some of those, I think I'd just say "Screw it. Unicode is now depricated.
Use ASCII instead. Doesn't have the characters for your langauge? Tough! Fix
your language!" :)

> When I get the time? Hah... I really need to get my lazy bum back to
> working on the new AA implementation first. I think that would
> contribute greater value than optimizing Unicode algorithms. :-) I was
> hoping *somebody* would be inspired by my idea and run with it...

Heh, yea. It is a tempting project, but my plate's overflowing too. (Now if
only I could make the same happen to bank account...!)