Static method conflicts with non-static method?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 27 04:23:39 PDT 2012

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:03:02 -0400, so <so at so.so> wrote:

> On Friday, 27 April 2012 at 10:48:29 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>
>> With the advent of UFCS, this argument has much less teeth.  Maybe it
>> should be revisited...
>>
>> -Steve
>
> Elaborate please how UFCS would help in that context.

Hm... thinking about it, UFCS requires passing the instance, while static
methods do not.  So it doesn't make as much sense as I thought...

I still think static methods should not be callable on instances without
opt-in from the aggregate author.  The confusion it can cause is not worth
the benefits IMO.

-Steve