Designing a consistent language is *very* hard

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 05:32:16 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 11:42:19 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Rewriting seldom brings anything new. It almost like starting
> from zero, without the benefit from all the bug fixes the
> software has had along the years.
>
> The hours wasted porting to a new language, could be used adding
> features to existing code base, or refactoring.

  There are times where a full re-write is better than keeping the
old code. I'm rewriting my code for SmartMerger (TES3 project)
from C to D, will probably be renamed to SmartMergeD). I'm
getting stuck more and more adding and rewriting portions of code
that are basically simple containers for different types; like
associative arrays and array searching of different types.

  It is quite refreshing to see how compact and simpler the code
is; And this is the first project I'm fully embracing OO. I can't
wait to see how D will look as it matures and the compiler gets
to a fully stable condition.