Does D have too many features?

q66 quaker66 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 12:22:59 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 18:48:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei and I had a fun discussion last night about this
> question. The idea was which features in D are redundant and/or
> do not add significant value?
>
> A couple already agreed upon ones are typedef and the cfloat,
> cdouble and creal types.
>
> What's your list?

- AAs integrated in the language; you barely ever use AA literals
and having them purely in Phobos would help get rid of the
runtime fat, as well as better implementations
- Phobos is too fat - it needs to shrink to just a few core
modules, others being distributed via some system like CPAN for
Perl
- Properties - they're kinda broken at this point and the value
is questionable
- @trusted @system
- Exception handling - a lot of runtime, questionable value
- Versions - not redundant, but needs a better system (with
AND/OR, possibility of de-versioning, the assignment op to set
versions is kinda bad)

I think I would find some more, but these are the ones I can
recall now.