Designing a consistent language is *very* hard

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Apr 28 12:35:40 PDT 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.45.1335627900.24740.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:18:33AM +0200, Guillaume Chatelet wrote:
>> Sorry for the noise but I think a few language designer out there
>> might like this one :
>> http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
>>
>> I think Walter and Andrei will smile ( or cry ) reading it.
>> It's no trolling here, I do think this post is very valuable and
>> relevant from a language design perspective.
>
> I've written some simple apps in PHP... never learned enough of it to
> run into all the problems listed on that page. But I *did* run into
> stupidities involving ===. IMNSHO, *any* language that has === is
> fundamentally, irreparably dainbramaged, and needs to be scrapped and
> redesigned from scratch. This includes that hellspawn of evil incarnate
> known as Javascript.

So true.

> After reading this article, I'm seriously considering adopting D as my
> language of choice for CGI. ;-)

I've already been sold on it for quite some time. Unfortunately, my biggest,
most important web project is built in Haxe that's compiled down to *both*
PHP and Flash, so I can't realistically switch until I have a way to keep
the common server/client code *common*, without dupicating it in two
different langauges for client and server (hence, my HaxeD project). Being
able to have a common codebase for client/server is seriously such a killer
feature, or at least it has been for my particular project.