Does D have too many features?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Apr 28 14:12:38 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:59:48 UTC, q66 wrote:

> This kind of attitude "we need big fat bullshit like Java and
> heavy use of OO and idioms and EH and all that other crap" is
> broken and false. And you have no way to prove that Python for
> example wouldn't scale for large projects; its main fault is
> that the default implementation is rather slow, but it's not
> pretty much missing anything required for a large project.

Python has two big drawbacks for large projects:
- it's too slow
- it's a dynamically-typed language

The fact that it's flexible is because it uses duck typing, and
AFAIK you can't do duck typing in a statically typed language.
So it's cool for small programs, but it can't handle large ones
because it's not statically typed. And this opinion doesn't come
just out of thin air, I speak from my own professional experience.